NEW YORK — A New York City restaurant that closed in 2015 for a second time this month has opened to the public after its owner’s family told a New York Times reporter that they wanted to bring the restaurant back.
The Restaurant at Madison Square Garden reopened Friday for the first time since January, after the restaurant was closed for a third time in a month.
The Madison Square Kitchen and Bar, in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village neighborhood, had been open only since July.
Its menu changed last month when owner Paul Hetzel’s daughter, Lisa, took over the business, said Mike Baca, a spokesperson for the restaurant.
Baca said that while he couldn’t provide details about the restaurant’s future, it had been on the menu for more than two months and would be back in the spotlight when the restaurant reopens on June 20.
Lisa Hetzels father said the restaurant would reopen, though she declined to provide any more details.
Baca declined to discuss the family’s decision to reopen the restaurant, but said that it was a private decision.
Lisa Hetsons mother, Angela Hetzes, declined to comment on the restaurant or the family, saying only that she was proud of the business and wanted to come back.
“We’ve been through some tough times, and we have been through so much,” she said.
“But I’m very proud of our staff and the people who work at Madison.
I want to come here and be able to come and share a meal with them.”
Baca did not specify the type of food that the restaurant will be serving.